Started out with a hiss…how did it end up like this? He just went for mulch…for his pot plants. A registered grower of medical marijuana, Mica Craig reached down to brush what he thought was a stick off some mulch in the garden section of a Washington state Walmart. The stick turned around and sank its fangs into his hand.
Last week’s encounter with a rattlesnake sent Craig, 47, to the hospital, where he said he remained in excruciating pain and may lose feeling in two fingers. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has apologized.
“I reached down to grab the stick to move it out of the way, and the snake stretched out, turned around and got its fangs in my right hand,” he said. “I slung it off and I did a tap dance on it until it was dead.”
“At this point, it appears to be an isolated incident. We are working with a pest management team, which is conducting a sweep of the property to ensure there is no additional rattlesnake activity,” Walmart spokeswoman Kayla Whaling said.
It was not mentioned whether or not Mr. Craig got to keep the snake.