Be A DJ On Chicago’s Q101 For A Shift
Be A DJ On Chicago’s Q101 For A Shift
So you wanna be a DJ? Can you handle it? Can you follow direction? Its not just a bunch of “hey, I’m on the radio!” stuff. It’s a lot of work, there’s a lot to do. You also have to have some thick skin. Not everyone will be kind to you and some will have some harsh, mean things to say about you. That’s the business and that’s why we say, have thick skin.
But you’re a trooper! You can do it! If you’re serious and want be on the radio then this is your time, your place. Q101.com will not only will we put the best submissions on the air here at Q101.com, we’ll even have our experienced industry veterans critique their shift. Our staff has over 100 years combined in the business and have been PDs, GMs, OMs and more. Combined, our staff has over 100 years experience in the business.
Maybe you’re one of those talented people who have worked in radio and have found yourself without a gig and need to keep your game tight; maybe you’re just a fan who wants to experience what it is to be an on-air personality; maybe you think you’re the best DJ ever and you’re gonna show the world. Cool, let’s hear from you.
HOW TO MAKE IT ON THE AIR FOR A SHIFT AT Q101.COM
You need to submit an “air check”. What’s an air check? Well, if you’re a radio veteran then you already know. If you’re in broadcasting school then you should also know, if not, you should get your money back and kick yourself in the ass for throwing your money down the drain.
An ‘air check’ is about a two and a half minute ‘scope’ of an on-air personality’s entire show/shift. The air check should contain the best segments of the entire show/shift. Air checks contain the on-air talent reading weather, back announcing, intro to post and more. (If you don’t know these terms then Google them).
Use your personality, don’t overdo it, don’t do what you’re not capable of doing.
You’ll need to have knowledge of how to record an air check. If you’re hip to it all then cool, if not, find or rent a friend who has a studio or DJ set up (after all, who doesn’t have that these days!) and record some segments of you being a DJ. On a side note, maybe consider buying that person [who was kind enough to let you 'DJ' in their studio] lunch. Why? If you’re really really bad, the person you just tortured deserves that much! Remember, have thick skin.
Once you have your air check ready, follow our directions below to a tee. Part of being in radio and/or being a performer is showing that you’re capable of taking direction so let’s get off to a good start or we’ll turn Carl The Floorwalker loose on you and you’ll spend a night in the box.
1. If you don’t have a SOUNDCLOUD account, create one. http://soundcloud.com
(NOTE: ONLY SOUNDCLOUD LINKS THAT FEATURE THE SOUNDCLOUD EMBED LINK WILL BE PROCESSED AND REVIEWED FOR POSITIONS)
2. Create your air check.
3. When completed, upload your air check to your SOUNDCLOUD account.
4. Email us a link to your SOUNDCLOUD page along with some information about yourself (bio would be nice) and your picture to
4. We will post links to all those who submit their material here on Q101.com. All those who submit their information will receive a page here on
Q101.com with their information and their Soundcloud air check
5. We will begin to select the best of the best to be a ‘DJ for a shift’ on Q101.com each day of the week. First air shift selection will be on
MOn. Feb 17, 2014 so get to submittin’!
6. What will we do for you if you make it on the air?
1) We will record your shift for you to have a digital copy
2) We will provide you with a producer in the studio to help you.
3) We will shoot video of you in the studio doing your show.
4) We will feature all the content mentioned above on your very page that we create here on Q101.com
If you’re really good, you may even get a permanent shift!
5) You will get a one on one session with one of our executives to give you an honest assessment of your show.
We can’t wait to hear what you got!