In this case, the illusion was real. Russian illusionist Ilya Safronov was performing the illusion of swallowing a sharp hook then pulling it out of his eye, when he accidentally really DID swallow it. The hook became lodged in his throat. The illusionist’s brothers, who were part of the act, initially intended to remove the hook themselves.
Wisely, they decided against performing “on the spot” surgery on their unfortunate brother and sought legitimate medical assistance. He was taken to the local ER where his condition is not known.