Fire 2 Crew 1 Final Score

The team celebrates after it’s 2-1 victory over Columbus.

The Fire finally have their first 2 game winning streak of the 2012 MLS season, and here is how it happened:

First Half: 02’ Marco Pappa scores for the Fire off of an intercepted pass to take a 1-0 lead.

26’ Dominic Oduro scores on his second shot of the game to give the Fire a 1-0 lead.

36’ Columbus cuts the lead to 2-1 after Tony Tchani puts one past Sean Johnson.

First Half Stoppage Time: No Scoring

Second Half: No Scoring

Second Half Stoppage Time: No Scoring

The best part about last night’s victory is that they played the majority of the game with only 10 men on the field. Midway through the first half Fire Defender Gonzalo Segares was hit with a red card and automatically ejected. He already had a yellow card stemming from the Fire’s previous game with New York heading into Saturday’s contest. He was carded after making a sliding tackle in which it appeared that the cleats on his shoes may have ran into the shins of a Columbus player. As to how high his spikes actually were is debatable but the call was made none the less.

But despite that the Fire continued on with no problems. They were aggressive on both offense and defense. Their offense won the time of possession battle, they always found themselves inside of the Columbus goalie box, and they were constantly taking shots. On defense they kept the pressure on the Crew. More often than not they wouldn’t let Columbus advance past midfield. And if Columbus did make it’s way deep into Fire territory, they had to contend with the brick wall named Sean Johnson. The Fire Goalkeeper amassed 8 saves despite the one goal. He was named man of the match and because of his stellar play, the fans at Toyota Park won free gallons of milk.

Aside from the red card issued to Segares, the game did get chippy at times. Fire Defender Dan Gargan was issued a yellow card as were two Columbus players. There was also some pushing and shoving which had to be broken up by the officials. Not to mention the blown penalty calls in which Fire Forwards Dominic Oduro and Patrick Nyarko got roughed up inside of the goalie box while they had possession of the ball. This happened twice to Oduro, once to Nyarko, and Nyarko was also fouled numerous times and the calls were not made.

By FIFA rules, if an offensive player has possession of the ball in the goaltenders box and is fouled while attempting to take a shot, the result is a penalty kick for the offense. Those calls were not made so the Fire did not get those penalty kicks. In my opinion the Fire should have won this game 4-1 had the correct calls been made. But none the less things did get rough out there, but the Fire did not lose their cool. But as a result of the cards, Segares will be suspended for the Fire’s next game. Chances are Gargan could be suspended as well because he also had a yellow card carried over from the victory over New York.

He should have been ejected from the game {as per FIFA rules} because of the two yellow cards but he remained in the match. So chances are the Fire will be down two players when they make their way to Kansas City next week to take on the second place Sporting Kansas City. A team which the Fire defeated at Toyota Park in early May, so the Fire already have a leg up on KC. The Fire also pick up three points in the standings they now have 24 total on the year. Their record now stands at 7-5-3. Here is the box score from last night’s game:

And I can’t leave without talking about the Chicago Rush. Just as I predicted, they would walk out of Kansas City with a victory. They demolished the Command last night by a final score of 59-41. Reggie Gray and Russ Michna lead the Rush offense once again with great performances. Reggie Gray also broke the team record for most receiving yards in Chicago Rush history. Etu Molden originally held the record. The Rush win their first road game since their road victory over Iowa back in March. Here is the box score from last night’s Rush game:

And even better news the Spokane Shock pulled off a huge victory over the San Jose SaberCats last night as well. Both teams set a new record for most total points scored in an AFL game, a record originally set when the Rush lost to San Jose last month. Spokane beats the Cats 90-63, I couldn’t believe it myself when I read it but it’s true. Unfortunately Georgia was unable to upset Utah last night, but the SaberCats loss put’s the Rush in the #4 spot in the AFL playoff race. Here is the box score from last night’s San Jose/Spokane game:

Next week the Rush return home to take on these same San Jose SaberCats. This gives the Rush another chance to distance themselves and secure a playoff spot.

Here are some post-game interviews from last night’s Fire game. It must be noted that although I tried, Dominic Oduro and Marco Pappa were not available to speak with the media after the game:

Post-Game press conference with Fire Head Coach Frank Klopas:

Post-Game press conference with Fire Goalie Sean Johnson:

Post-Game interview with Fire Midfielder Pavel Pardo:

Post-Game interview with Fire Forward Patrick Nyarko:

You can follow me on Twitter: @GabeSalgado82 Hashtag: #Q101Sports

You can friend me on Facebook:

I am also on Myspace:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *