The Wolves Winning Streak Ends At Two Games

Like I said in my pre-game article, this was going to be a physical game. Here are photos of the five fights that broke out tonight:

3-30-13 2 3-30-13 3 3-30-13 4 3-30-13 53-30-13 6


The game started out rather slowly, but got more physical as the game went on. Trash talking led to pushing and shoving. Pushing and shoving led to cheap shots. Those cheap shots led to fighting and it was the story of the game tonight. But despite the physicality, the Wolves and Admirals did actually play hockey tonight. Here is how it all went down….

The game began with both teams playing defense back and forth. At point, Milwaukee put an extra forward on the ice and went with an empty net. But finally with 12 minutes left, the Admirals broke the ice first and scored off of an Austin Watson shot to take a 1-0 lead. Six minutes later, forward Darren Hayder smacked one past Admirals goalie Magnus Hellberg to tie the game at 1.

After that things started to get chippy with pushing and shoving by both teams but cooler heads would prevail. During the last couple of minutes both teams would trade shots but with no success. There would also be a little more pushing and shoving before the buzzer sounded.

The first period ended with Brett Sterling for the Wolves and Ryan Ellis for the Admirals in the penalty box. The period also ended in a 1-1 tie. For the first half of the period both teams defenses were playing hard and not giving up too many shots. Admirals winger Patrick Cehlin finally got one past Wolves goalie Matt Climie eight minutes into the second to take a 2-1 lead.

Kevin Connauton would get the Wolves back into it at with 4:30 remaining with a goal of his own on a power play. It was tied at 2 from there. With under a minute remaining, Wolves forward Guillaume Desbiens took a shot to the back of the head from Admirals defenseman Scott Ford. That caused two fights to break out within a 60 second span.

This led to penalties for Ford and a Wolves player Darren Archibald who retaliated. The second period would wind up in a 2-2 tie. The third period began with another set of penalties but less physicality. It wasn’t until the clock hit 12:28 that we would get another score. Milwaukee winger Daniel Bang snuck one past Matt Climie to take a 3-2 lead.

Then with 3:35 remaining, the Admirals would score again thanks to forward Juuso Puustinen. It was a power play goal and it gave the Admirals a 4-2 lead. The Wolves would try to fight back one last time thanks to a goal by defender Mark Matheson. It was his sixth goal of the season and it came with 53 seconds left on the clock.

The Wolves got one last shot with 10.6 left, but Admirals goalie Magnus Hellberg stopped it dead in it’s tracks to preserve the lead. On the ensuing face-off, the Wolves got the puck back and tried one last shot but Hellberg stopped it once again. Another fight broke out as the buzzer sounded.

Milwaukee gets to drive back up I-94 with 4-3 victory, snapping the Wolves two-game winning streak, and winning their fourth in a row against the Wolves. The Admirals now move past the Wolves in the Midwest Division standings. They improve their record to 34-25-4-3 with 74 points. They now hold seventh place in the Western Conference.

The Wolves drop to third in the division and eighth in the conference. Their record now stands at 32-24-5-4 and the loss keeps them stuck at 73 points. The Wolves finish this four game home stand with a record of 2-2-0-0. Both teams get to go home for the Easter holiday. The Wolves hit the ice again on Tuesday when they travel to San Antonio. Milwaukee will return to the state of Illinois on the same day when they travel to Rockford.

Here is the box score from tonight’s game:

For sports anytime you can follow me on Twitter @GabeSalgado82 #Q101Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *